Global average calorie intake is: 2940 kCal/capita/day.
We are 7 billion people on Earth.
That adds up to 8.6 * 1016 Joule per day
That is equivalent to 1 Hiroshima per minute!
Humans are scary.
Useful energy conversions:
- An average human uses energy at a rate of 4 BicMac/hour. (not food but fuels)
- Oceans are warming at a rate of
- 1 BigMac/minute/person.
- 4 Hiroshimas/second
- 35 kW/person
- 15 times faster than global energy consumption.
- Humanity as a whole eats 1 Hiroshima/minute (see above)
- 1 Hiroshima/second = 14 BigMacs/hour/person OK
- 1 Hiroshima = 27 MegaBigMacs
- 1 BigMac = 37 Nano Hiroshimas.
World energy consumption: 150e15 Wh/yr = 1.7e13 W
TOA radiative balance / Rate of global ocean heat uptake = 2.4e14 W
1 Hiroshima: 6.3e13 J
1 Big Mac: 2.3e6 J
1 kCal = 4184 J